Monday, August 26, 2013

Caves and Gaudí

8/23

Today has been quite a long day. I had to look in my pictures to remember how the day started. 

We started our day earlier than usual. We set off to the Altamira Cave at 10am. 

Well, it isn't technically the Altamira Cave. It's a NeoCave. The actual cave is extremely endangered because when it was first offered for viewing, people from everywhere came and crowded in the little cave. Because of the temperature change and so much movement, along with people being handsy all over the prehistoric art work, it was in big trouble. So they created an exact replica of the cave and put artifacts in a huge museum.  It is really cool. 

So back to the explanation. 

The Altamira cave is a 18,500 year old cave that was used by the monkey-man creature, Neanderthals and, once they went extinct, man. There are many artifacts that were found in the cave. From tombs and carcasses to tools and clothes. 
When I saw this, my heart jumped. All I could think was: Slenderman. 



What is most significant about the caves are the amazing drawings found on the ceiling of the cave. The cave is very short, so it was easy for the people to draw/paint. 


We went from there to another city with a big church and many stores and restaurants. The town itself dates back to the Medieval times. 
We went into the church am there was a big quad with one wall full of ivy. 

From that city we went to Santamilla del Mar. This city is famous for its amazing architecture. Gaudí designed one of the buildings and another is a famous Gothic style church. The Gaudí house was definitely my favorite because I love sunflowers and that was the theme of the home. 
These flowers were planted all around the entrance. I thought they were really pretty, so here ya go. 
"The Tower"
The stained glass of the entrance way. 
The main bedroom. The sitting area was originally a bathroom. 
The ceiling of the main bed. 
There are two little balconies with wrought iron that are very unique and really cute. There were some details about this house that I would want to have in my own. Like this balcony, for example. 
This stained glass is the bathroom, I am pretty sure. It's very famous because the man that Gaudí designed this house for, Máximo Diáz, loved music. In the left window pane, there is a bee playing the guitar. And in the right, there is a bird perched on piano keys. 
This is the entrance way to the first floor balcony (big, not the little iron one). 
I really love the sunflowers. It was a summer home, after all. 
So this is the part of the attic. It is split into two because the living room ceiling is so tall that it splits it in two and there is a roof top area to connect them. This is another thing I am now adding to my list of things I want in my future home. It is just too beautiful. 
This was the other side thathad furniture replications that Gaudí designed and Diáz had in this home. Also, a way to the tower; however, it was locked because it isn't safe to actually go up into the tower. 
These are the famous designs of chairs. And yes, the second picture is of one chair. 
There was another balcony off the second part of the attic. It had a nicer view of the tower. 
As well as the courtyard. It is known for the horseshoe shape you see here. In the back, as well, Gaudí designed a cave. 
This was the entry way to the balcony. There is an iron bar right behind my head. It has padding and duct tape all around it. No, I didn't hit my head (which is highly characteristic of me, but Pablo did). 
This is just anther area in the yard beside the green house, which makes up the center of the home. 

We walked about 10 minutes and made it here. It is the church of the city. 

All together it was a long day. But it was really fun and I love the house Gaudí designed. By far my favorite building so far, even though it is kind of of gaudy. 

I hope you just laughed because I did. 

And I know I usually end my posts with my mustache, or bigote, but this picture is kind of better:

I am just chilling with Gaudí. Admiring his work. 

Adios 
Mikayla

No comments:

Post a Comment