Monday, August 26, 2013

The End of the Vacation Road

Tomorrow we head back to Éjica. Today we were in Cárcaras. It's really pretty and a big city. We went from our hotel down a couple streets, and suddenly it looked like we were in Italy. 

We went to the church of the city as well. 
These are tombs. I still can't get over the fact that they are the ground in the church. Sometimes, when I step on one of the designs on a tomb that comes up, I jump. I just can't help it. 
This was outside the church. I was taken aback for a moment, given the history of America, but I recovered quickly remembering it is a big part of a holiday in Spain. During Semana Santa, groups of people dress up (as so) and parade around the cities in large festivals and parades. I have heard it is very fun. The outfits are worn to represent by the Nazarene as another way to ask for forgiveness. It is definitely a happy holiday, having nothing to do with the unfortunate past of America.
We walked up a very long and narrow staircase to the top of the tower of the church. Very beautiful, no?
On our way out, we saw this and it made me think of home. (I say this because there is a house in my neighborhood with two or three peacocks. And many times, they get loose and walk down the street.)

We leave bright and early tomorrow. Two weeks until I begin the Colegio! 

Hasta luego
Mikayla

No comments:

Post a Comment